Monday, April 14, 2008

Words of Five Year Old Wisdom



We had a little incident last week. Abbey lied to me about her dinner, she said she had eaten it, when in fact she had thrown it in the trash. Lying is something that we don't tolerate so the situation was dealt with accordingly. After someone receives punishment, I like to take the time to talk about it after the hurt feelings and DRAMA have died down. Well, as is customary, Abbey and I were discussing her infraction during a calm moment. Jacey happened to be right there with us, listening and taking it all in. When my oldest child opened her mouth to speak, my jaw hit the floor and my eyes filled with tears. She told her younger sister (younger by 12 months and 3 weeks), "The Bible says" (and this is her quoting!) "Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who deal truthfully are his delight." That's Proverbs 12:22 for those of you reading that might not know.

My sweet, wise-beyond-her-years, God loving child not only quoted scripture to her sister in a biblical way, but she also used it in the correct context AND got the verse right! PRAISE THE LORD for the AWANA program and the teaching children receive there! If you ever have the opportunity to work with this program or put your children in it, please look into it. It's invaluable!

As I've relayed this story to a few friends over the past several days, I find myself tearing up each time. I'm not sure what that's about. I don't think it's pride, because it's nothing I've done, it's all about the Lord. I've been thinking maybe it's jealousy. I don't like to think I'm capable of being jealous of my daughter, but I could be. I find myself wishing that at such a young age, I would have been on the same journey she's on in her personal relationship with God. I didn't even know a personal relationship with God was a possibility until I was in my 30's! I'm still not sure where all the emotions are coming from, but I do know that I thank GOD for her love for Him and I pray it continues to grow as she continues to grow. Thank you Jesus!

No comments: